Monday, May 5, 2008

We are n Fall here but the leaves don't change colors, as far as I can tell. Vernons says the only way you know it is fall is you see people shaking their trees so the dead leaves fall out. It is more like natural pruning. It is getting cooler about 50 degrees F, and is raining more and more. We have a small space heater that so far keeps our apartment fairly warm. I don't know if it gets colder if the little heater will be enough. But I have a microwave so at least I can have hot water to drink when ever I want.

Our work here is definately not relaxing but I do enjoy not having to plan, prepare, and clean up after meals three times a day. The plants here are as beautiful as I have ever seen. I get up every morning and walk two miles on a track--14 laps equal one mile. It is outside but enclosed within the MTC compound so I am completely safe walking at 5:45 each morning by myself.

I am hoping to get into a routine with my work in the mail room and help desk so that I can start participating in the evening language classes with the missionaries. I don't think I will pick up a second language as fast as Txanton did. There is a Brazilian sister missionary here who lived in Provo for just two years while her father completed an MBA. She speaks English wonderfully with only a slight accent. I often ask her to translate for me in the mail room and during our choir practices. She is just about Txanton's size but has black hair and very dark eyes.

Leading the music is still scarey and I feel totally inept during the practices. Some how something happens during the performance and the choir sounds wonderful inspite of the crazy practice. There is nothing quite like a choir with around 100 males voices and 50 female voices.
the pianist is very good and the best part is he is so patient with me and just says:

"what ever you want Sister Chris. I'll do it".

I had a young elder sit close to the front Tuesday night and lead along with me just incase I lost my timing I could follow him. All the missionaries have so much fun singing they don't seem to care that I don't know what I am doing.

1 comment:

mike c. said...

Jerry,
I can hardly stand to read all this. I am just about insane with jealousy. It sounds like a dream. I'm sure it is stressful too of course, but it all seems wonderful. I am so excited for your portugues to get better. My first few months in Brasil I was in charge of the Primary in a small branch and I could hardly speak a word. There was a lot of pantamiming scripture stories during sharing time. I didn't even have a Children's Song Book in portugues, so when we were out walking the area I would make my Brasilian companion sing the Primary Songs so I could learn them and teach them to the kids on Sundays. Things got better even just after a few months. I know the Lord will bless you to learn quickly.
Music was the theme in our Sacrament Meeting last week. There was a senior couple returned missionary who spoke. The sister had been in charge of the music and choir in a little branch in Pennsylvania, where there were only two people who could sort of play the organ and piano--they were self taught, just so they could provide the music in church. She also said that somehow when the choir performed things came together rather miraculously. It made me feel like I should try to learn to play the piano before I'm old enough to serve another mission. I bought the easy hymn book and have been forcing my family to sing while I plunk away during family home evening. I'm so glad that I have been able to keep my girls in violin lessons these last four years. I've got to try to encourage the piano too, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps if I keep trying to learn they will become interested on their own. Thank you for writing so much detail about everything. It is wonderful to read it all.
Love,
Kristina