Monday, March 16, 2009

Jerry drives in Sao Paulo

“An unexpected experience”. The doctor here at the MTC was concerned that Vernon/Dad/Grandpa needed to have his cataracts checked to see if they were "ripe" and needed to be removed. We made an appointment with a doctor across town and she said she needed to dilate his eyes to complete the examination and wanted to know if I had a drivers license. Gulp!

I had tentatively decided that I would not drive unless it was an emergency. So I had put off the predatory experience of driving around Sao Paulo on a Sunday when the traffic is significantly less. Our appointment was on Saturday March 14th and it seemed to me that the traffic was not quite as congested as it is on a regular week day. But still right down in the middle of Sao Paulo on the side streets the traffic was bumper to bumper. The bigger challenge for me was the hundreds a people that move out into the streets waiting for the light to change.

We survived!

2 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

Three cheers for Jerry! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

D.

Eileen and Chuck said...

So what was the verdict on the cataracts? In our week in Brazil, I chose to watch the scenery, NOT the road--otherwise I'd have a panic attack! And watch out for those motorcycles whizzing down the white lines between the lanes!