Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It is strange to me that this computer- digital-text messaging generation love to get hand written letters more than anything. Every day the missionaries swarm around my room anxious to see if someone in their district got a package of a letter from home.

I often deliver the mail during lunch or dinner time. The missionaries watch through the windows of the cafeteria and cheer and clap when a letter is dropped in their box and sigh moarnfully when their boxs are passed by.

We have a new policy now that I can not forward food or candy in packages that arrive after a missionary leaves. So periodically I have candy to hand out to the missionaries. I had collected quite a stash and was able to give out trick-or-treats for about three days in October. Now I am collecting again for an extra Thanksgiving treat.

Elder Stanely, from Cottleville Missouri going to Londrina, is on the far left he is one of my "Musical Missionaries" he is working on an original arrangement of "For the Beauty of the Earth" that the choir will sing on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. His companion Elder Hyte, from Kaysville Utah also going to Londrina, is on the far right. He took the picture. The rest of the missionaries from left to right are Elder Tengaio from Laie Hawaii going to Londrina, Elder Kelly Cheever from Orem Utah is going to Porto Alegre North. His twin brother Daniel is also here but in a different district. Elder Maxfield from Gilbert Arizon is going to Londrina, Elder Porter is also from Gilbert Arizona and going to Londrina, Elder Wright is from Salem Utah and he too is going to Londrina. Elder Doty, from Bothell Washington going to Rio de Janeiro is peaking in over his shoulder.

These missionaries are exception and I fall in love with everyone of them. This district will be leaving in two weeks on Tuesday the 2nd of Dec. They are so excited to move on and really start the work they have been called to do. I will say good-bye and try to hold back the tears

2 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

Sounds like you are doing well if you love them that much.

D.

Sharon said...

Oh Jerry...how I remember well the very same scenario every day at the CTM! Isn't it amazing? I jokingly said that the missionaries love you or hate you:-) They do love those REAL letter in their hands to read over and over again.

Hugs, Sharon